No one likes sitting in traffic, especially on the way to a fun-filled vacation. You can`t control what happens on the road but you can try and plan ahead of time. Here are a few tips on beating not only the beach traffic but traffic in general:
- Travel on off-peak days. Holidays are always the most popular times to travel. In fact, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the biggest travel day of the year. Whether flying or driving, the actual holiday itself will have fewer travelers which means less traffic, and shorter lines.
- Travel early or late in the day. Statistics show that flights traveling earlier in the day have a better on-time performance and if your flight is cancelled you have the option of booking one later in the day. As for driving, sleeping hours are the best times to hit the road.
- Check the traffic before committing. This way you can search for alternate routes before getting on the road to avoid accidents or heavy jams. It can be stressful trying to find your way out of traffic once you`re already in it.
- Buy an E-ZPass. This allows use of a dedicated lane leading to the Bay Bridge toll booth ($6.00 eastbound-only) and other tolls as well. Travelers can set up an E-ZPass account in any participating state here.
Bay Bridge Specifics
- The Bay Bridge opens a third lane for eastbound traffic beginning at 3 p.m. weekdays from May 1 to Sept. 30.
- On Saturdays between Memorial Day weekend and the third weekend in September, three lanes are available from 7 a.m. until noon.
Call 877-229-7726 for up-to-the-minute bridge traffic conditions.
- The Bay Bridge is the only reasonable passage across the Chesapeake Bay. Alternative roads won’t save you much time.
- Once on Kent Island, Route 18 parallels Route 50, but it’s a slow country road.
- Route 404 leads to the Delaware beaches and can be used to access Route 113, which leads to Route 90 or Route 50 into Ocean City.
- Short stretches of alternative roads appear along Route 50, such as routes 662, 322 and 585, but they often don’t spare minutes unless Route 50 is stopped.
Looking for a reliable GPS App? Waze is the world’s largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Other drivers in your area share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their commute. https://www.waze.com/ traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their commute. Find out more here.